The ultimate goal of Omega Reporting, your Memphis court reporters, is to keep abreast of new and existing technology tools to aid our clients in their law practice. Last week I was excited to participate in my first Skype deposition!
Skype is a software application that allows users to make voice and video calls and chat over the Internet. The latest version of Skype offers the clearest, crispest, sharpest quality video calling and high-definition capability.
The benefits of using Skype rather than the traditional videoconference and/or telephone deposition are many. My top reasons for why legal professionals should consider using Skype for upcoming depositions and/or client meetings are listed below.
- Skype is free — there is also an upgraded account available at an affordable price
- Eliminates long-distance telephone charges one would incur in a traditional telephone deposition
- Eliminates costly airline travel and extra expenses associated with air travel
- Cost-effective method to use when your client may be budget conscious
- Viable option when you cannot conveniently meet in person
- Gives legal professionals a face-to-face experience with potential witnesses
- Skype gives you the ability to gauge reactions and facial expressions of all participants
Adding and installing the Skype application to your technology toolbox is fast, easy, and affordable (free). Just click the Download Skype button and follow the prompts.
What you’ll need to get started:
- latest version of Skype
- fast Internet connection